Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Red Sox Off Season


Going in to this key off season for the Boston Red Sox, I thought they had one definite move to make- and that was to resign Jonathan Papelbon. Yes, he blew the save in Game 162 but if you don't have a dominant closer who's been through the fire and came out clean on the other side then you don't have anything. All those people that were "happy" to see him go, ask yourself this- Are you going to get anyone better to replace him? Heath Bell has been good in San Diego but that's San Diego. Can he handle Boston? Franciso Cordero is old and he had a good year in a contract year (always a red flag). K-Rod's arm is about to fly off at any second. Daniel Bard isn't ready. He was terrible in September and just cause you can throw 100 MPH doesn't mean you can get the three biggest outs of the game. Before Pap left I was thinking they should make into a starter. I am intrigued by Joe Nathan. He'd be cheap money but he's coming off Tommy John and who knows if he can be effective. I say Nathan and whoever steps forward between him or Bard. The closer is not the only move the Sox need to make.


Manager. The Sox still don't have a manager. It looks like Dale Sveum is the leader in the clubhouse and I don't know about you but I'm not really feeling that. Maybe its cause I remember him sending every runner to the plate that he possibly could and getting them thrown out. They say because hes been in the clubhouse before and knows the players but he hasn't been here since 2005. The only players he knows in that clubhouse is David Ortiz (more on him later) and Kevin Youkillis (him too). I was on the Mike Maddux bandwagon but he backed out. Sveum was named interim manager of the Brewers in 2008, took them to the playoffs, and then they demoted him back to hitting coach and hired Ken Macha. That's a little strange right there. Sandy Alomar Jr is my choice right now. Former catcher, knows pitching, and would have respect from the players.


David Ortiz and Kevin Youkillis. I'm conflicted on this. I love both players but I would resign Ortiz and explore a trade for Youk. There really is no market out there for Ortiz and the DH position has become a dead position in baseball. He can still hit and power in today's game that is hard to come by. Yes he's got a little bit of diva in him but he's still a leader in that clubhouse even though last year happened on his watch. Resign Papi I say.

As for Youk, I don't think he can stay healthy and we have a potential stud 3rd base prospect named Will Middlebrooks. Youk can't handle the grind of 3rd base and at this point he's a 1st base/DH type of player. I don't know what you can get for Youk. The Brewers might need a first baseman and I would call up Theo at the Cubs, maybe get some relief pitching. Then Id give Middlebrooks the job and sign a veteran for him to platoon with. Such as Casey Blake. That's a move I like.


Also theres little moves I would do. Cut the cord with Varitek and Wake. I hate to do it but it's time. I'd sign Michael Cuddyer, good clubhouse presence, can play multiple postions, right handed bat, and have him split right field time with Ryan Kalish, whos ranked as the second best prospect in the Red Sox system and came up in 2010 and showed potential. Also have Jose Iglesias spilt with Marco Scutaro. By the end of the year Iglesias could be the everyday guy. Then have
Ryan Lavarnway spilt with Salty at catcher and Lavarnway could spell Papi at DH against lefties. Hopefully Beckett got a fire lit under his ass and comes back in shape. Same with Lester. Lackey's gone for the year. There's some solid starting pitching out there. Mark Buehrle is out there. I'd go out and get Rich Harden. They had him at the trade deadline but the team doctors said he want healthy. He went on the make every start for the A's after the deadline and now the team doctors are fired (good riddance to them by the way. So many misdiagnosed players the last few years). I'd stay away from CJ Wilson. Too much money and I think he's sligtly overrated.

You could say "Well BJ, you sure got a lot of rookies playing key positons". Yes but there's still a ton of talent on this team. Crawford will bounce back, Adrian will have a better year, Pedroia, Ellsbury are still here. The pieces are in place all we need is a few moves and a change of the culture and the Red Sox will be back.

No comments: