Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Other 1-2 Punch


Right now the Red Sox are on a roll. They are hitting great, the pitching has been decent to good, and their having the classic Fenway comeback wins. And this all started when Coco Crisp went down with a apparent injury and Jacoby Ellsbury has been playing full time. Jacoby seems to be on base every time he comes up. He's got a .444 OBP and he's batting around .300. Tonight against the Angels he belted 2 home runs. The kid is an absolute stud. He, along with Dustin Pedroia, have been getting on base lately and setting the table for Papi and Manny. During this great run the Sox have been on, Jacoby and Pedroia have been in the middle of it all. Tonight was a perfect example. The game game was tied at 6 in the bottom of the 8th when Jacoby led off with a perfectly placed bunt single in between the first baseman, pitcher, and second baseman. Then Pedroia smoked a ball down the 3rd base line and Ellsbury turned on the jets and scored all the way from first to give the Sox a 7-6 lead. This is just a continuation of Games 3 and 4 of last years World Series where they hit great and were all over the bases. Coco is great defensive center fielder but Theo Epstein has to find someone to take this guy soon because Jacoby is the spark plug for this team. He gives them energy. He's perfect on stealing bases. Him and Pedroia are the perfect 1-2 to start lead a line up.

Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury are my two favorite players on the Red Sox and they may approach "Nomar Status" in my book. Back when I was a kid and Nomar was the best shortstop in baseball, I was absolutely obsessed with Nomar. I did his same batting stance, right down to the toe-tapping and batting glove adjustment. I collected almost every baseball card he was on, I had a bunch of t shirts that his name on it. Probably one of my greatest moments in my life when I went to Fenway and I got his autograph on a Red Sox program with Darren Bragg on the cover. I was absolutely speechless. So all in all, Nomar Status is just the select few athletes that I will serious man-love for (like the Wiz has for Brian Scalabrine). Probably the only athlete that has reached and maybe even surpass Nomar Status is Tom Brady (perhaps it should be changed to Brady Staus but Nomar came first and was my first love I guess). Larry Bird to me is just God but he was before my time, so in my book hes just God. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett are approaching Nomar Status with every win. Pedroia and Ellsbury are on their way up. Its just a matter of time really.

No comments: